Thursday, July 28, 2005

who lives here?

as I currently work for a wholesaler, I fill orders for all kinds of cities and companies with odd names. Here are some of the more interesting town names (I suppose it might be bad to put up the weird company names):

Tea, SD (do they drink a lot? do they make it?)
Winner, SD (hope it is one)
Manilla, IA (like the envelope)
Montezuma, IA (don't drink the water)
Oconomowoc, WI (not somewhere we sell to, I just like saying it)
Correctionville,IA (guess what's located there)
Ladysmith, WI (do they make them there?)
Argyle, MN (like the socks)

and the winner is...

Nimrod, MN


really, now. who was the genius who named this town? I'm sure there was a reason, but I have no idea what it was.

2 comments:

  1. There's a myriad (ten points for using the word "myriad") of odd towns in my bizarre (only two for "bizarre") area:

    Intercourse, PA (um... yeah. I think they make most of their money selling t-shirts with the town's name on them to long-haired fishermen)
    Middlesex, PA (it's a confused town)
    Troutman, SC (da da da da da da da da, da da da da da da da da TROUTMAN!!!!)
    Jim Thorpe, PA (so named not because he lived there, but because they bought his remains)
    Jersey Shore, PA (you guessed it - it's landlocked)

    I'm sure there's more. Pennsylvanians are WE-EIRD.

    Hope Chicago is treating you well. Or at least treating you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're trying to imply that there's a jail or juvenile detention facility in good ol' Correctionville, there isn't. It was named for the correction line that falls through the heart of the town. Check out the town history at Correctionville.

    ReplyDelete