Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween should be a National Holiday.

...because, let me tell you... I think it deserves to be a national holiday. And I could really use a vacation right now.


I work at a costume shop. It's a good one, and I enjoy it there. However, the Saturday of the Big Halloween Weekend always blows if you work at a costume shop. I enjoy sewing, and costumes and all... but really. If I can give one piece of advice to anyone, it would be to

NEVER GO TO A COSTUME/HALLOWEEN STORE THE SATURDAY OF HALLOWEEN.

Really. Never. It is not worth your time. It's like trying to rent a Santa suit at 10 am Christmas Eve day. ...Okay, so maybe that's a bad comparison. Let's try this one: as bad as trying to get a rush order of Oil-Rubbed Bronze Schlage doorknobs during Parade of Homes season. ...No? Well... it's just really bad. Don't do it.


So yes, I worked. And I was sewing late at night. I was making my halloween costume -- 19th century undergarments. That includes a corset. Ever know anyone (besides me) who has made a corset -- the real kind with metal stays and everything? No? There's a reason. They suck to make.

NEVER TRY TO MAKE A CORSET.

That's also some good advice. At least I only broke two of my sewing machine needles.


So I was lacking my sleep already. I'm an eight-hours-a-night kinda girl, so this lack of sleep was detrimental to my brain power. Then I had to go to some parties. Yes -- had to, thank you very much. One was a costume party -- and if you think I'm not going to a costume party on Halloween, you don't know me very well. The other party was my own... but not a costume party. My roommate hates costumes. I'm not sure how long our roommate situation will work out under these circumstances, but I think we'll be able to work through our differences over time.

NEVER HAVE A HALLOWEEN PARTY THAT DOESN"T INVOLVE COSTUMES.

Okay... so that's not really advice. It's just my crazed, highly biased opinion. But costumes *are* fun. And that's a fact.

1 comment:

  1. It's true. Costumes ARE fun. But I think that some people buckle under the pressure of having to come up with one that's creative. Not everyone sews like you and I. I can't help but wonder if that's was the straw that broke the camels back for Shane and I. He just couldn't handle having to deal with a costume - hmmmm

    ReplyDelete