Sunday, August 27, 2006

Slap me on the ass and call me a girl!

As a woman, I have 2 choices when it comes to a work environment:


1. Work with mostly women.

Women, as it usually goes, can be pretty catty and mean when it comes to group environments. They are nice to your face, then talk bad about you behind your back. They may not even realize it, since it can range from "That bitch stole my promotion" to something as mundane as "I got the same sandals for a much better price than she did". I think it has to do with some sort of innate, primal competition for the best males. Also, women rarely dress well specifically *for men* -- it's for the surrounding women. To look better in their eyes, rise to the top of the pecking order, and become liked... that way, the other women are less likely to talk bad about you -- and this allows you to get the better men. In contrast, the women who are secure in relationships never seem to be as bad about this. Note: I said secure. If they aren't secure, they are just as bad, since they have to work to keep their man.

However, there is the possibility of having good, close friendships. As you are always together during the day, these can flourish greatly with very little effort. But probably not with all of the coworkers.


2. Work with mostly men.

Men aren't catty. If they have a problem with you, they make fun of you to your face. I think this relates back to the fight-to-the-death for the right to a female. They have to compete, and the person who gets in the last, best jab to the ego gets the right to have the best woman. Or paycheck. Which then allows them to get the best woman.

Although the all-male workplace is normally free of drama, it is important to understand that you are their personal in-office-wife-substitute. They will not always clean spills, nor will they tell you if they took the last pen from the supply room. They won't do things if they don't find them important. It's kind of like babysitting -- it is automatically your job to make sure they do their homework and chew with their mouths closed. This isn't always the case, though, and some are better than others.


Is this sexist? Sure. Why? Because we are different. No... don't deny it. We are. Women are naturally more nuturing and have a tendency to go into "nesting mode" after having sex with someone we like, and men like to hunt things and go find more things to hunt after the success has been established. It's just the way it is, people.


So I guess I'm saying that I'm glad I work in an all-male office, because I don't have to worry about silly catty woman-drama. But I am a babysitter. It's annoying. It's my job, and until we get someone else in here to help (hopefully soon), I am the catch-all administrative assistant/nanny.


But I do have pretty good health insurance, so I can't complain too much.


Enjoy the weekend, everyone. Go to the park.

1 comment:

  1. i love it. its funny and so true... but what has that got to do with sewing???

    ReplyDelete